The Dow Jones Industrial Ordinary shut at 23,723.sixty nine on Friday with a decline of 622.03 points or -two.fifty five%. The S&P five hundred shut at two,830.seventy one for a decline of 81.seventy two points or -two.81%. The Nasdaq Composite shut at 8,604.95 for a decline of 284.60 points or -three.twenty%. The VIX Volatility Index was higher at 37.19 for a achieve of three.04 points or 8.ninety%.
Friday’s current market movers
U.S. stocks shut decreased Friday. The Trump administration did not renew shelter and social distancing demands, leaving choices now up to the states. The Trump administration did even so alert of tariffs and likely new penalties for damages from the coronavirus. President Trump could potentially hit China with retaliatory tariffs for setting up the coronavirus outbreak in the initial place.
On the earnings calendar:
- Chevron (CVX): Revenue of $29.seventy one billion reduced fifteen.six% calendar year in excess of calendar year and missed estimates by $750 million. 1st-quarter GAAP earnings of $one.ninety three per share beat estimates by $one.27.
- Exxon Mobil (NYSE:XOM): Revenue of $fifty six.16 billion reduced 11.seven% calendar year in excess of calendar year and missed estimates by $two.09 billion. A initial-quarter GAAP decline of 14 cents missed estimates by eighteen cents and non-GAAP EPS of fifty three cents beat estimates by 47 cents.
- Magellan Midstream Associates (MMP): Revenue of $782.81 million elevated 24.5% calendar year in excess of calendar year and beat estimates by $106.14 million. 1st-quarter GAAP EPS of $one.26 beat estimates by 22 cents and non-GAAP EPS of $one.28 beat estimates by 24 cents.
- MoneyGram (MGI): Revenue of $290.nine million reduced seven.8% calendar year in excess of calendar year and missed estimates by $four.eighty two million. A initial-quarter GAAP decline of 28 cents per share missed estimates by eighteen cents and non-GAAP decline of 5 cents missed estimates by one cent.
Both equally Chevron and Exxon explained they would halt dividend payments. Amazon’s CEO was also named to Congress for a testimony in regards to preceding information he has provided.
Coronavirus cases in the U.S. elevated to in excess of one,094,800. The Meals and Drug Administration introduced an unexpected emergency use authorization of Gilead’s (GILD) remdesivir to support coronavirus sufferers soon after constructive final results have been released from trials. The drug is taken by means of an IV.
Economic stories influencing current market buying and selling bundled the adhering to:
- The Markit Production PMI reduced to 36.one in April from forty eight.5.
- The ISM Production PMI reduced to 41.5 in April from forty nine.one. Independently the ISM Production Price ranges Index reduced to 35.three from 37.four, the ISM Production New Orders Index reduced to 27.one from forty two.two and the ISM Production Employment Index reduced to 27.5 from forty three.8.
- Design investing elevated .nine% in March.
- The Baker Hughes North American oil rig rely reduced to 435 from 491.
In the S&P five hundred, strength and purchaser discretionary led losses. In the S&P one hundred, the adhering to stocks led losses and gains:
In little caps, the Russell 2000 shut at one,260.forty eight for a decline of 50.eighteen points or -three.eighty three%. The S&P 600 shut at 740.02 for a decline of 31.09 points or -four.03%. The Dow Jones U.S. Modest-Cap Progress Index shut at 8,539.79 for a decline of 310.fifty six points or -three.51%. The Dow Jones U.S. Modest-Cap Worth Index shut at six,363.86 for a decline of 293.99 points or -four.forty two%.
Other noteworthy indexes
Other noteworthy index closes bundled the S&P 400 Mid-Cap Index at one,590.forty eight for a decline of fifty five.88 points or -three.39% the S&P one hundred at one,302.16 for a decline of 35.86 points or -two.68% the Nasdaq one hundred at 8,718.eighteen for a decline of 282.33 points or -three.14% the Russell 3000 at one,635.fifty nine for a decline of forty nine.36 points or -two.ninety three% the Russell 1000 at one,555.seventy eight for a decline of forty six.04 points or -two.87% the Wilshire 5000 at 28,599.eighty for a decline of 865.77 points or -two.94% and the Dow Jones U.S. Choose Dividend Index at 557.02 for a decline of twenty.17 points or -three.forty nine%.
Not a Quality Member of GuruFocus? Indication up for a free of charge seven-working day demo here.
About the writer:
Julie Youthful is a financial author with in depth knowledge in the financial expert services business. She writes about investments, expenditure products and solutions, financial current market news and financial trends. Julie has a Grasp of Science in finance from Boston College and a Bachelor of Science in finance from the University of Arkansas.